seriously oaty oatmeal chocolate peanut butter bars

    These are some seriously good bars.  Did I say seriously? I did, and they are.  I think I have a thing for bars at the moment. The last thing I baked was bars (they were also very very good) and my 'looking threw a cook book' choice seemed to be all about the bars too! I am liking the bars and these are chocolate and peanut butter... need I say more?
  
recipe
300 g milk chocolate
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter
1 3/4 cups light brown sugar
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped mixed nuts
1 egg, beaten
14oz/400 g canned sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
optional 1 cup coconut

Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C
Finely chop the chocolate. Sift in the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the butter and mix till it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the rolled oats, sugar and chopped nuts. (for some extra goodness, if you like coconut, add here, about 1 cup)
Put a quarter of the mix into a bowl and add the chopped chocolate, mix and set aside.
Stir the egg into the remaining mixture, then press into the bottom of a 12x8 inch pan. Bake just the bottom for 15min.
Meanwhile, mix the peanut butter and condensed milk together. Pour onto the baked bottom crust, spread evenly, then sprinkle the reserved chocolate mixture on top.
Return to the oven and bake for an addition 20min. Let cool.
Recipe adapted from The Big Book of Baking.

Comments

Lucy said…
Ooh its like the best cookie made into a bar! Perhaps I pointed out the obvious, but I love your trip into bar baking - mmmm :D
apparentlyjessy said…
Chocolate and Peanut butter, no you need not say more! YUM!
Anonymous said…
mmmm looks delicious! Great photos! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
gine said…
ooh those bars look seriously good ^^ .. !! have a great day ^^! XOXO
Dewi said…
And they are seriously look delicious, scrumptious and mouthwatering bars!
Justin said…
this recipe is everything i love mixed into one... wow.
Chef Chuck said…
Chocolate and peanut butter how can we go wrong! These bars seem to be packed with plenty of flavor! Good for that afternoon snack :)
Talita said…
This looks really yummy!! I'd love to have a bar of these.
eatme_delicious said…
Mmm I love bars too. These look delicious! Love the condensed milk in them. Your photos are beautiful!
Tanya said…
I just started drooling at my computer- these look DELICIOUS!

Just did a similar cakey post on my blog, feel free to check it out :)
tara said…
Those bars look amazing. Definitely a recipe to try soon.

Popular Posts